Fasoolia Bzait is a traditional Middle Eastern dish that is not only healthy but so delicious to eat! It is so easy to make and great as a meal on its own or as a side dish with a main course. Fasoolia can be eaten warm or cold. I personally like it warm and scooped up with traditional Arabic bread (Flat bread) and a cucumber, garlic, mint yogurt concoction for dipping. For more delicious goodness, this dish is even better when accompanied with warm lemony lentil soup! But, I will save that recipe for another day! This is a quick and easy dish to make on any day!
- 1 pound greens ( or more, just double the recipe)
- 5-6 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 large chopped onion
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tsp butter (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt (or more for your taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth or just water ( adding either vegetable broth or chicken broth adds so much flavor. So, if you have it in your pantry then use it! You wont regret it).
- 8oz can Cento crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce- Optional
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- half lemon or 1 whole lemon
- Trim and wash the green beans. French cut them, cutting them into two-inch pieces. Then set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or pot on medium heat and add olive oil/butter
- Add peeled garlic cloves leaving it whole, bay leaf, and chopped onions into the skillet and sauté until golden brown, about 8 – 10 minuets. (Optional- add 8oz can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce. My favorite is Cento brand) cook another 5-8 min.
- Add green beans, salt & pepper, stir and cook for 5 mins.
- Add allspice, cumin, coriander, stir and close lid and cook another 5-6 min.
- Add your choice of broth or water, stir and close lid and cook for 25-30 mins. Make sure to stir every now and then.
- By now the liquid should be absorbed and the beans are well done, now is the time to check for salt and squeeze in half a lemon, parsley and cilantro. Stir well and cook uncovered 1-2 min.
- Serve with flat bread or basmati rice and yogurt.
- 1 cup yogurt
- half of one seedless English cucumber
- Handful of chopped mint
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Mix everything together and serve with green beans.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram & Pinterest ….AND ENJOY AND SAVOR EVERY BITE!