Snacking over the holidays sometimes can be a challenge but popcorn was on our minds this particular evening. Now, this is not your average popcorn with tons of butter and salt. This is a very sophisticated popcorn. This popcorn is for individuals that love to try new flavors and explore new ways to eat a simple snacking food like popcorn to a whole other level. There are so many ways to dress up popcorn so I searched for inspiration on Pinterest and saw a lot of flavors. As I searched and searched I realized I wanted something with herbs. So, I thought about flavors I like and what would be easy to do. I wanted herbs with a bite of freshness and a hint of spice.
- 3-4 tbsp of coconut oil , enough to bottom of pan (or any oil you choose to use)
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels (or store bought package, no flavor or butter)
- zest of a medium lemon
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of salt or sea salt
- handfull of chopped basil
- Pour the oil into the pot and heat through on medium low heat. Drop a few kernels into the pot and close lid. Once you hear the kernel pop, it’s ready to go. Pour in remaining kernel and close lid.
- Shake pan from time to time, half way through open the lid just a bit to let out steam and popcorn remains crisp.
- Dump popcorn into a bowl. Use small fine grater to zest the lemon over the popcorn or measured out before hand. Sprinkle in parmesan, salt, pepper & basil.
- Adjust any seasoning you need and I had basil so use it but you can use any other herb that suits your fancy. You can also apply a little melted butter at the end if you want as well. It helps with binding everything together but is optional.
Enjoy and savor every bite!