BREAKFAST! The most important meal of the day! Sometimes we get stuck in a routine for breakfast. There’s times when you would like to mix it up a bit and surprise yourself in the process. I searched for what I had and decided to make an omelette but not your regular day to day omelette. Actually, if you come to think about it, this can be eaten any time of the day. It’s that satisfying! This could be an omelette or borderline frittata if I may say so myself. I’ve made several omeletts in my time but this by far really surprised my tastebuds! If you have a picky eater in the household, like I do, saying “This is really good mom”, then you know it was good! The freshness of the herbs in my opinion is what makes this dish so delicious!
- 4-5 eggs
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- dried Zaatar (middle eastern herb- growing in our garden, similar to thyme or oregano-anyone can be substituted)
- handful fresh mint (also growing in our garden)
- handful parsley
- cherry tomatoes cut in half
- chopped mixed olives
- crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp greek seasoning
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- half of one large red onion
- Heat up a big round skillet on medium low – with butter & olive oil. Add in onions and cumin seeds; sauté for until transparent- about 3 min. Then add in tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 min.
- Once the tomatoes have browned up a bit add in salt, pepper, and olives.
- In another bowl beat your eggs, with garlic powder, zaatar, salt & pepper, greek seasoning and add to the pan. Before the egg sets sprinkle in the chopped mint and parsley. Turn the heat down just a bit and add in the feta cheese on top. Top off the pan with a lid so the top can cook off, or place in the oven on 350* for 5 min with NO top.
- Serve with everything Bagels or whole grain toast or whatever suits your fancy.
Enjoy and savor every bite!
2 Comments Add yours
I do like getting up early to fit in breakfast before work but usually I find I’ve run out of time. I’m not one that gets stuck in a routine of breakfast, unless you count no breakfast as a routine! This omelette looks delicious though and not too complicated for the morning.
Ha ha ha … That’s too funny! I have some morning that I skip too! And thank you it was delicious!