There are many versions of the very popular Indian dish chicken tikka. I have made chicken tikka many times but always thought it was just ok, but recently I made this and changed up a few things to see if it made a difference. I was surprised to see that simple changes made a huge difference and my family loved it! So, here I am sharing the recipe with all of you! This is so easy to make that it will easily become one of your favorite dishes to make. This chicken dish can easily be added to a salad, sandwich, stuffed in pita bread, or rolled up in a tortilla roll (chicken kathi roll) possibilities are endless!
- 1 lbs to 1 -1/2 lbs of boneless chicken cubed
- 1 cup good quality Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp of coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 garlic powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp of ground fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp tikka paste (sold in most grocery stores)(use a little or a lot depending on how spicy you like it to be)
- 1 tbsp tandoori powder (also, available in stores) (use a little or a lot depending on how spicy you like it to be)
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- Handful of chopped cilantro (set aside a little for garnish)
- Juice of 1 large lemon
In a large bowl mix all the ingredients except for the chicken. Taste the marinade before adding it to the chicken to check for flavor. If all tastes good add to chicken and marinate it for at least one hour. The longer you marinate the better.
- while chicken is marinating soak wooden skewers in water to prepare for the grill. Soak for at least 30 min to prevent burning.
1.When ready to grill add on the chicken to the skewers.
2. Brush with a little oil
3. Add to charcoal grill and cook for 6-8 min, turning them around to get a good char all the way around the chicken.
4. Add to plate on top of rice or serve on its own garnished with lemon wedges & cilantro.
- Side note:
I served it with mint yogurt. Blend together 1 cup of yogurt, handful of mint & cilantro, a few pinches of cumin seeds or cumin powder and salt and blend away. So yummy!!
Enjoy & savor every bite!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram & Pinterest!